About Grassroots Leadership
Grassroots Leadership is an Austin, Texas-based national organization that works to end prison profiteering and reduce reliance on criminalization and detention through direct action, organizing, research, and public education.
We believe that human connection and organizing has the power to challenge the immigration and criminal justice systems. Our efforts should be lead by those directly impacted by systems of injustice. They are the ones most knowledgeable about the issues, impacted by the decisions, and most qualified to lead.
Grassroots Leadership is seeking a dedicated, passionate individual to join our team in a 10-15 hr/wk unpaid communications internship. The ideal candidate will have personal or family history with incarceration, detention and/or deportation, be bilingual English/Spanish, and a person of color, all of which are representative of the communities most impacted by unjust criminal justice and immigration enforcement policies.
We are unfortunately not able to offer a stipend for this position, but can support a student in securing any relevant course credit for the internship.
Additional qualifications include:
- Excellent written communication and listening skills
- An ability to speak clearly and write expressively
- Comfort with and experience using social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, Hootsuite, Instagram
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and respond quickly to changing priorities
- Highly organized
- Strong critical thinking skills, with the confidence/ability to question analytically
- Cross culturally responsiveness, showing an ability to work with a wide variety of individuals from various backgrounds
- An interest in making an impact on the issues of mass incarceration, immigration enforcement, racial justice and prison profiteering
- A willingness to learn and ask questions
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team
- Kindness, flexibility, and sense of humor -- we’re a small, family-like organization that values community
- Knowledge of MS Office, Google Docs, Google Calendar and Gmail, and database systems strongly desired
The responsibilities for this internship would primarily be to support programmatic communications leading to an improved understanding of using online content/platforms and traditional media to advance a cause. Core responsibilities will include writing regular blogs, strengthening our web and social media content, and building a strong media contact list. Responsibilities also include documenting and participating in organizing activities.
Core internship responsibilities include:
- Writing six blogs for TexasPrisonBidness.com per month
- Identifing and completing needed updates to TexasPrisonBidness.com
- Regularly updating the Texas Prison Bid’ness and Grassroots Leadership social media channels
- Promoting events, actions, and fundraising on social media
- Maintain an editorial calendar for the organization
- Producing web content from organizational emails, press releases, and other materials
- Monitoring user-submitted comments on Texas Prison Bidness and Grassroots Leadership websites
- Adding upcoming events to the Grassroots Leadership website
- Building an organizational media contacts list
- Tracking media coverage of our organization, issues and projects
- Taking and organizing photos at events, trainings, potlucks, staff events, etc. for social media, website, blogs, reports, newsletter, etc.
- Participating in organizing activities
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to the hiring manager at email@example.com by close of day Friday, September 2, 2016.