Grassroots Leadership seeks a Digital Organizer for our Austin office located at 2301 E. Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78702. The position will be responsible for growing the online impact of our campaign and base building work. The digital organizer will create compelling campaign content, engage supporters online, and deepen the impact of our campaigns to create change in the criminal justice and immigration systems.
Key Objectives of the Role:
- Grow our digital base (including social media) by engaging supporters regularly with high-quality, bilingual content.
- Develop and disseminate communications collateral for short-term policy and practice change campaigns
- Work within a team to create multimedia content that forefronts the voices of those impacted and changes the narrative around the criminal justice and immigration systems
- Create and expand opportunities for member-leaders and organizing project members to meaningfully participate in communications as a means to build power.
- Demonstrated success in creating compelling multimedia content
- Strong editorial judgement and an ability to ask critical questions
- Experience building and maintaining online communities via social media
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Demonstrated expertise with advanced technology including Google applications (docs, spreadsheets, forms), CRM database management, web development platforms
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish
- Ability to quickly create clean, strong copy in English and Spanish
- Experience working on issues of incarceration, detention or deportation.
- Team player; ability to work effectively with diverse grassroots constituencies, coalition partners, and policy-makers
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations in politically challenging environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Extremely well-organized
- Sense of humor
Strong Applicants may also have:
- Lived experience with the criminal justice or immigration enforcement systems
- Experience working with members of the press
- Experience fundraising for nonprofit organizations
- Successful experience managing interns
- Experience in community organizing, base-building efforts, and demonstrated commitment to leadership development amongst impacted communities
More about the job:
This full-time, salaried position will be located in our Austin, Texas, office. Some travel within the city and state, and occasional travel outside of the city or state may be required. Salary will be $44,000 per year with excellent benefits. This position is currently funded for one year, but there is the potential for it to be longer-term.
About the organization:
Founded in 1980, Grassroots Leadership is a nationally recognized civil and human rights organization based in Austin, Texas working for a more just society where prison profiteering, mass incarceration, deportation and criminalization are things of the past. We work to transform the justice and immigration systems through organizing, research, advocacy and public education, building bridges between communities to increase the capacity of local leaders and coalitions, and mobilizing those most impacted by incarceration and deportation.
It is the policy of Grassroots Leadership not to discriminate in the employment of staff, or in the selection of volunteers, on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, financial status or HIV status. Grassroots Leadership works affirmatively to build a staff and board that includes people of many different races, classes, genders, physical and mental abilities, ages and sexual orientations.
People of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who have experience with loved ones in prisons, deportations or detention centers are encouraged to apply. We do not discourage or discriminate against people with convictions, and you will not be asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime on the application or interview.
How to Apply:
Please send letter of introduction, resume/vitae, and three employment-related references to HR@grassrootsleadership.org with 'DIGITAL ORGANIZER' in the subject line. Include why this position is of interest to you. Questions about the position should also be directed the same email address.