Grassroots Leadership is seeking a full-time Texas Advocate for Justice (TAJ) Field Organizer for our Houston chapter. The position will be responsible for building and coordinating the digital and physical membership base for TAJ Houston. An ideal applicant will have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, be a self-starter, and have experience with base-building work.
This position typically reports to the Houston TAJ Lead Organizer.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate weekly community outreach to recruit new members
- Plan and facilitate meetings, mixers, new member training, and events
- Develop base-building strategies including canvassing and flyering plans to promote TAJ Houston and events
- Track outreach data and synthesize results into next steps
- Coach and mentor members on active base-building campaigns
- Enter potential members into data systems and EveryAction (CRM)
- Retain members stability through intentional communication and social media engagement
- Onboard prospective new members through virtual and in-person 1:1 meetings
- Develop copy and graphics for messaging on social media platforms
- Assist as needed with traditional media requests
- Other tasks as needed
Experience, Knowledge, and skills required
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system and a commitment to ending the disproportionate impact of mass incarceration and criminalization on communities of color
- Able to strategically adapt to rapidly changing situations in a politically challenging environment
- One or more years of experience in community organizing, base-building efforts, and facilitating leadership development amongst directly impacted communities
- One or more years of experience with digital organizing, public relations, and/or marketing
- Familiarity with state, city, and county level legislative processes
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals, coalition partners, and policy-makers
- Strong ability to manage partner relationships and conflict
- Ability to work in close proximity to others or alone, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Extremely well-organized
Strong applicants may also have
- Event planning experience
- Experience working with nonprofit and/or base-building organizations
- Bilingual written and oral proficiency in English & Spanish
- Experience working with Every Action (CRM)
- Direct experience with incarceration, immigrant detention or of a loved one
More about the job
This salaried at-will position will be located in the Houston area and will work remotely. Some travel within the city and occasional travel outside of the city or state will be required. Salary for this position will be $45,000 a year with full benefits. Full-time staff members are automatically enrolled in comprehensive health care plans, have flexible work schedules, and are able to take part in various employee benefits.
It is the policy of Grassroots Leadership not to discriminate in the employment of staff or in the selection of volunteers on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, financial status or HIV status. Grassroots Leadership works affirmatively to build a staff and board that includes people of many different races, classes, genders, physical and mental abilities, ages, and sexual orientations.
Grassroots Leadership is committed to investing in the leadership of people of color and formerly incarcerated people. People of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who have family in prisons or have been impacted by the immigration enforcement system, women, queer, and trans people are encouraged to apply. We do not discourage or discriminate against people with convictions, and you will not be asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime on the application or interview. Please feel free to mention your experience with the criminal justice or immigration system as those experiences will be considered as an asset in this job.
How to apply
Please send to HR@grassrootsleadership.org with TAJ HOUSTON FIELD ORGANIZER in the subject line, in (.doc) or (.pdf) format:
Letter of introduction / Cover letter
Contact information and three professional references
Please briefly tell us why this position is of interest to you. Questions about the position should also be directed to the same email address.