Grassroots Leadership seeks an Administrative Assistant for the organization. The position will play a critical support role helping to maintain contact lists, communicate on behalf of executives, schedule meetings, and will be responsible for performing routine clerical and administrative duties. They organize files, prepare documents, schedule appointments, and support other staff. This position reports directly to the Co-Executive Director of Operations.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain online organization, including database and Google Drive
- Supports People’s Operations Manager with onboarding new employees such as office accessibility, access to Google Drive, assign work equipment, and cleaning detail assignments
- Plan/coordinate staff, leadership, and board events, meetings, activities, and meals
- Prepare reports for Co-Directors and/or Board meetings as needed
- Prepare and manage contracts for services & independent contractors
- Order supplies, mail coordination, answer phone calls and emails
- Maintain building operations and office cleaning schedule
- Monthly expense reports
Experience, knowledge, and skills required:
- Exceptionally well-organized
- Incredibly detail-oriented
- Great problem-solving skills
- Works well independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- High school diploma/GED or Higher Learning Certificate
- Technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of administrative software
- Demonstrated strength in providing clear and efficient communications, ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form, internally & externally
- Works well as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively with diverse Grassroots Leadership staff and constituencies.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; ability to plan, organize and control large amounts of work, ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Ability to maintain the utmost confidentiality and ethical standards
- Ability to work under deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume, and stressful times.
Strong applicants also have:
- Experience working with nonprofits
- Previous human resources function(s)
- Bilingual: Spanish/English strongly preferred
- Sense of humor
More about the job:
This full-time, salaried position will be located in our Austin, Texas, office, at 3121 E. 12th Street, Austin, TX 78702. Salary will be starting at $48,000.00 per year with excellent Grassroots Leadership-paid benefits including health, dental, vision, group life, AD&D, pension, vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
The successful candidate will be trained by the Co-Executive Directors.
About the organization:
Founded in 1980, Grassroots Leadership is a nationally recognized civil and human rights organization based in Austin, Texas working for a more just society where prison profiteering, mass incarceration, deportation, and criminalization are things of the past. We work to transform the justice and immigration systems through organizing, research, advocacy, and public education, building bridges between communities to increase the capacity of local leaders and coalitions, and mobilizing those most impacted by incarceration and deportation.
Grassroots Leadership is an equal opportunity employer and does not to discriminate in employing staff, or selection of volunteers, on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, justice involvement or conviction, veteran status, financial status or HIV status. Grassroots Leadership works affirmatively to build a staff and board that includes people of many different races, classes, genders, physical and mental abilities, ages, and sexual orientations.
How to Apply:
Please send to HR@grassrootsleadership.org with ADMIN POSITION in subject line, in (.doc) or (.pdf) format:
- Letter of introduction
- Current resume/vitae
- Contact information and three professional references
Questions about the position should also be directed to the same email address.