Grassroots Leadership seeks a Senior Accountant for the organization. The position will be responsible for processing and preparing all the accounting, bookkeeping, and financial reports for the organization. This position will supervise an accountant assistant and reports directly to the Co-Executive Directors. Starting date is projected to be in mid to late January 2023.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provides financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data; preparing financial reports.
- Process all accounting and bookkeeping using SAGE Business Works software.
- Process and schedule bi-monthly payroll through Rippling online system
- Process all accounts, payable & receivable.
- Make monthly adjustments, journal entries as needed for various grants, or funds.
- Review monthly bank account reconciliations.
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Record all income.
- Run monthly financial reports: Statements of Activities, Financial Position, Cash Flow projections, Functional statements, etc.
- Prepare an annual organizational budget, review with Co-Executives and present to the Board of Directors for approval.
- On an annual basis, in coordination with the Executive Co-Directors, review the organization's fringe benefits to determine best plans and premiums.
- Manage grant balances and prepare grant financial reports as needed
- Prepare reports for Co-Executive Directors and Development Manager as needed
- Manage staff credit cards, including credit limits, new issues and terminations, monthly payments, and enter invoices in the accounting system
- Coordinate quarterly review with the outside CPA firm or auditors.
- Manage / supervise bookkeeper.
Experience, Knowledge, and skills required:
- CPA preferred
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Experience with financial reporting requirements
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting, or finance with major coursework in accounting, finance, or a related field is generally preferred.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems as required by law.
- Strong computer proficiency, particularly Excel, Word, Google Docs.
- Ability to quickly learn and assimilate new systems and information. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Demonstrated strength in providing clear and efficient communications,and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form, internally and externally,
- Very detail oriented.
- Ability to review reconciliation of accounts receivable and payable to identify discrepancies in accounts, bank statements, and report findings to Co-Executive Directors and external auditors.
- Management experience.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse Grassroots Leadership staff and constituencies
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; ability to plan, organize and control large amounts of work, ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Ability to maintain the utmost confidentiality and ethical standards
- Ability to work under deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and stressful times
Strong applicants also have:
- Experience working with non-profit organizations
- Bilingual: Spanish/English preferred, but not required
More about the job:
This full-time, salaried position will be located in our Austin, Texas, office, at 7910 Cameron Rd, Austin, TX 78754.
Salary will be starting at $55,000 per year, with excellent Grassroots Leadership-paid benefits: health, dental, vision, group life, AD&D, pension, vacation, sick leave and holidays. The successful candidate will be trained by the Director of Finance & Administration.
About the organization:
Founded in 1980, Grassroots Leadership is a nationally recognized civil and human rights organization based in Austin, Texas working for a more just society where prison profiteering, mass incarceration, deportation, and criminalization are things of the past. We work to transform the justice and immigration systems through organizing, research, advocacy, and public education, building bridges between communities to increase the capacity of local leaders and coalitions, and mobilizing those most impacted by incarceration and deportation.
Grassroots Leadership is an equal opportunity employer and does not to discriminate in employing staff, or selection of volunteers, on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, justice involvement or conviction, veteran status, financial status or HIV status. Grassroots Leadership works affirmatively to build a staff and board that includes people of many different races, classes, genders, physical and mental abilities, ages and sexual orientations.
How to Apply:
Please send to HR@grassrootsleadership.org with SR. ACCOUNTANT POSITION in the subject line, in (.doc) or (.pdf) format:
- Letter of introduction
- Current resume/vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
Questions about the position should also be directed to the same email address.
A full background report will be obtained on the selected candidate.